Tuesday, November 23, 2010
The Turkey Day Vegetable
Alex and I were at the Vanderbilt earlier this month for a celebratory dinner. On the menu was a brussels sprout appetizer that just read "honey and Sriracha."
We didn't end up eating it but I decided to try making it tonight:
1. Trim ends of brussels sprouts and cut them in half.
2. In a deep pan, heat up some bacon fat.
3. Once pan is hot enough, put brussels sprouts in, cut side down. Season with salt and pepper and leave to cook and get dark underneath - be patient!!
4. Add a dash (1 tbsp, approx) of soy sauce and start to toss the sprouts.
5. Add a good squirt of Sriracha sauce and give a good toss.
6. Lastly, mix honey with a little bit of water to loosen it up, then add it to the pan and toss the sprouts one last time.
You get salty, sweet and spicy all in one bite - so good.
If you are wondering what we were celebrating, it's my new job. In a nutshell, I'll be doing and learning way more, for a few small startups. I'm really excited for the opportunity - two of the startups deal with wine so stay tuned for more on that!
Right now, trying to focus on Thanksgiving. With most of our friends out of town or doing their own thing with family, we are having a small dinner with a grilled Tuscan (lemon-garlic-rosemary) chicken instead. Some roasted potatoes and a couple of simple vegetable sides - easy, simple, chill Thanksgiving.