Sunday, October 10, 2010

Beef: It's what's for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner

This is why I am vegetarian during the week. We started it off on Friday. I started a friendly competition with Alex to see who could come up with the tastiest, healthiest and cheapest dinners. So far, on Wednesday I did Heidi Swanson's Brown Butter Tortelli recipe. I used Spinach-ricotta ravioli instead and it was delicious ($10.65). Then on Thursday I did roasted chicken thighs with carrots, potatoes and a small side salad of leftover arugula ($16.00+ because I bought ice cream).

This allowed me to splurge for Friday's dinner, a grilled porterhouse steak, bindhi masala and mushrooms cooked in sherry and butter:

That's dinner

I didn't do anything to the steak. I just rubbed it in olive oil and seasoned it with fresh black pepper, kosher salt, rosemary and some garlic powder. Cooked it on an extra hot cast iron grill pan for about 4 minutes on each side for a perfect medium rare. The trick with steak is that you have to cook it at room temperature so that the meat will cook evenly.

The next day at the Flea, I wanted to get a shrimp roll from the Red Hook Lobster Pound. They were nowhere to be found. So I headed for Mile End's booth, where I was about to order a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese, heirloom tomato, onion. But the power went out and the toaster wasn't working. I tried really hard to not eat more beef! But HNH BBQ's brisket sandwich was in the stars for me:

HNH BBQ at BK Flea

They know us by name already, which is kind of sick and awesome at the same time. We got a couple of brisket bones to gnaw on as well - they can't sell them but there's a lot of meat on them. Now that they've let dogs into the Flea (a REALLY bad idea in my opinion) we really have to watch our food.

After biking all over the city, we ended up at the Park Avenue Armory. We decided to head back downtown to the West Village to Corner Bistro for some solid bar burgers. I didn't get to snap a pic but here's an old one from about a year ago:

IMGP3582


Oh man...

No comments: