Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ropa vieja my way

Ropa Vieja

So I decided to make ropa vieja for dinner. I found this recipe online and tried to follow it but once I got to the store I realized there was no mojo marinade to be found. Stupidly, I didn't read what the ingredients were so I asked Sean, who said to use tomatoes, cumin, annato, garlic.... Once I got home, I realized that it was basically a cilantro sauce, of which there was PLENTY at the store. So I improvised. Here's my marinade:

2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (stems included)
juice of 1 lime - my lime was dry as hell so at this point, I didn't care anymore since my marinade was being improvised. So I just cut it up and tossed the whole thing in
1 large jalapeno, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
salt, pepper
tiny dash of cumin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
about 1 tbsp ground coriander (dried cilantro)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
* NOTE: Unless the ingredients are actual single pieces of fruit/vegetable, I just estimated the above measurements. I know it's frustrating but I just add a dash of this and that until it tastes right to me.

Place all these ingredients in a mixing bowl. Meanwhile:

Heat some oil in a saucepan, then add a few annatto seeds. Cook for a few seconds until the oil turns yellow-orange, then discard the seeds. Add about 6 oz tomato paste and whisk, adding water as needed. Once the mixture is well incorporated, mix this into the other marinade ingredients.

Set the crockpot on high, put your beef in. I used London broil. Pour the marinade over the steak and cover the crockpot. Once it starts to bubble, keep an eye on it. After about 2 hours, set it on low and keep it cooking for about 4 more hours. When it's ready, take 2 forks and shred it. DUUUUDE!

When you're ready to eat, prepare Spanish yellow rice according to package directions. For the beans, I diced 1/4 red onion and sauteed it, then mixed in a diced jalapeno and some diced red pepper. Then I added some drained & rinsed canned black beans and sauteed the mixture til it was hot, adding a bit of salt and pepper.

Plate it up, serve with cold beer. We made mojitos.

The meat would be good as leftovers to use in enchiladas or just to eat in some tortillas with some avocados & fresh tomatoes. Of which we have plenty!

No comments: