Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Good day for a white wedding

No photos because we gobbled it up too fast. Last week I made Italian wedding soup for dinner. Here's how:

1. Ground meat (I used beef, you can use pork, turkey, chicken...) - in a bowl, mix it up with milk, a handful of breadcrumbs, dried parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Mix mix mix mix mix, keep adding milk until the consistency's right. It should be wet but not gooey. Like if you're making a meatball, it should hold its own and not fall apart or flatten out.

2. Chicken broth - I like College Inn's chicken broth a lot. It can get a bit salty, so as you're heating it up, add some water. Bring it to a light boil and add the meatballs in.

3. Meanwhile cook your pasta in another pot. Use small pasta such as ditalini. I used mini shells. If you like you can cook your pasta in the chicken broth but the starch from the pasta will make the soup thicker and a little cloudy. I prefer to cook it separately until it's al dente, then rinse it under cold water.

4. Spinach - I like to get the big bag of spinach. You could use baby spinach but I used the regular kind and just cut it up with scissors into big chunks. I think it holds up to soups and reheating better.

5. Once the meatballs have been cooking for about 5-8 minutes, taste the broth and adjust to taste. Add the pasta in and cook for another 2 minutes, then right before serving, add the spinach. Serve immediately and top with freshly grated parm. Garlic bread on the side would be awesome.

No comments: