Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Something Asian again...."


Homemade Niu Rou Mian, originally uploaded by lazysundae.

It's a running joke between me and Alex, that I always want to eat Asian food. But when there are so many different cuisines from Asia, can you blame me?

This is a recipe from Noodle Fever that I spotted on FoodGawker the other day. It's the perfect weather for warm, spicy noodle soup.

I had to make a few substitutions in the recipe as my grocery store, though it is trying very hard, didn't have some of the ingredients: Szechuan peppercorns, spicy chili bean paste (I used sambal olek, which they had) or beef shanks (I subbed oxtails and london broil...). They had star anise but at $8 for a container of about 10, I passed and bought a big jar of Chinese 5-spice instead for $2.50

What really got my mouth watering was the spice paste. As the soup base in the big pot is starting to simmer, you heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan and add sugar (I used dark brown) to caramelize. To this, you add grated ginger and a whole HEAD of minced garlic. Also some of that sambal olek and also the optional cayenne pepper. It smells so delicious. I want to make just that again and try it on different things - meats, noodles tossed in sesame oil... You get the idea.

Making the noodles wasn't too complicated, just really messy. The key, as noted in the instructions, is to use a LOT of flour to avoid sticking. Seriously - keep flouring! Flour as your roll up the dough, flour as you unroll and stack the noodles up... It helps a lot.

Homemade flour noodles after cutting


Homemade noodles after unrolling


I am going to make this again, and next time I will add the beef tendons.

If you're a follower of mine on Tumblr you're going to see this photo twice...which is okay because it was that yummy.

No comments: