Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cook everything in bacon fat...

I MEAN IT.

Braised Kale

This is braised kale I made a couple nights ago:
1. Chop bacon into small pieces and cook in a big heavy bottomed pot. You could use a sautee pan I suppose but with the amount of kale you may be using a pot might be a better option.
2. Meanwhile prep your kale - hold each stalk by the end and using a chef's knife, lightly hack the leaves off, slicing away from you. I used more than half of one bunch. Roughly chop the kale so you still have some big chunky pieces. Also cut up some asparagus.
3. Once the bacon has cooked to desired crispness, remove from the pot. Pour out some of the fat, reserving about 2 Tbsp inside. I save my bacon fat in the freezer - you can cook veggies, eggs & make cookies with them.
4. Add the chopped kale to the pot and little by little add a bit of water to braise it. Once the kale starts to soften, add some balsamic vinegar. Add the asparagus to the pot then season with salt and pepper.
5. Meanwhile roughly chop some dates. Add these and a handful of craisins to the pot of kale, continuing to add water or balsamic vinegar little by little.

To serve, top with the bacon you cooked earlier and some roasted, salted sunflower seeds. Great as a side but I ate mine as dinner.

No comments: