Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ayiyiyiyi

Chicken tortilla soup

We had leftover shredded chicken and a ton of tortillas left over from last night. The tortillas were left over from a couple weeks ago when I made a southwest salad. I'm not into wasting food so I made tortilla soup:

Heat up some chicken broth in a pot. Add some water to thin it out a little.
Meanwhile, prep your toppings - red onion, cilantro, avocado. Set these aside.
When the soup starts to simmer, add the shredded chicken.
Add some crushed tomatoes and their juice, or crush some whole canned tomatoes up in your fingers.
Simmer simmer simmer.
Meanwhile heat some oil up in a pan and fry up your corn tortillas. I cut mine into strips, then salt them as they're cooking. Drain these on a paper towel.
Add other bits into your soup. I had leftover black beans and corn niblets from the salad I made so I put those in. Simmer simmer simmer.
Season your soup. I just did cayenne pepper and freshly ground black pepper.
Spoon it out into bowls, top with cilantro-red onion-avocado. Some fried tortilla chips. Some cotija cheese.
Do a squeeze of lime just before eating.

Easy easy easy!

No comments: