Monday, October 26, 2009

Comfort food on a nasty rainy Saturday

Buttermilk Channel
524 Court St at Huntington, Brooklyn (Gowanus-ish)


Appetizers at Buttermilk Channel
Alexis: Eros & Mario were in town for the weekend and we had dinner at Buttermilk Channel, who managed to squeeze us in after our party went down in size. It was a terrible, rainy Saturday and trains were jacked but we made it down there in once piece. After having brunch here this past spring, Alex & I have been anxious to come back and try dinner.

To start we ordered some small items - sweet potato/goat cheese croquettes, home-cured pickles and pictured below, maple-bacon almonds.

Bacon maple almonds at Buttermilk Channel


Fried chicken & cheddar waffles at Buttermilk Channel
Alexis: This was my dinner, the fried chicken with cheddar waffles and cabbage slaw. First of all the chicken was really good - super crispy skin, not greasy at all and the meat was juicy and tender. The syrup tasted of balsamic vinegar reduction, which I was thankful for because I didn't want it to be too sweet.

Today I have some left over, which I am eating cold for lunch with some spicy Tabasco ketchup. You jelly?

Short rib special at Buttermilk Channel
Alexis: This is Alex's dinner, the short rib special. I wish I'd gotten a better photo of the meat because it was so tender and soft. I'll let Alex tell you about it.

Bacon-wrapped trout w/ shallots and figs at Buttermilk Channel
Alexis: Eros's dinner, bacon-wrapped trout with fig & shallot jam, baby turnips. This was my second choice but am so happy I went with the chicken. It's the meal that keeps on giving.

No dessert - afterwards we went to Legion in Williamsburg where the beer & whiskey were flowing freely. Needless to say I was pretty useless the next day. But I managed to cook SPeggs, for breakfast. Photo to follow, once Eros lands in LAX.

No comments: