Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer salads pt. 2

Last night's dinner

At over 90 degrees yesterday, there was no way I was turning the stove on. This is a riff on an old favorite, the caprese salad. I added peaches, (per The Minimalist's suggestion) to this salad of campari tomatoes and lightly salted fresh mozzarella from Murray's. Topped with a handful of fresh basil, Fairway's DOP extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt and fresh pepper, this was super delicious and easy to make. The tomatoes were juicy and sweet and the mozzarella was creamy and rich. The addition of peaches added some sweet juice to mix with the olive oil. I shaved the skin off because I don't like eating fuzz but I guess you could leave it on if you're not bothered by it.

Getting really good tomatoes makes a big difference. I'll be eating them like there's no tomorrow now, as summer is ending. I've been buying from my crappy local grocery, who refrigerates all tomatoes that come packed in a box. No no no no no!!!

Please, do yourself a favor and make yourself this salad. On the side I had a glass of cold Pinot Gris and some mixed olives.

No comments: