Sunday, August 09, 2009

Baked Brooklyn

Baked
359 Van Brunt St (Red Hook)

Baked

Red velvet cupcake with cinnamon buttercream at Baked

Today we spent the afternoon in Red Hook. Our first stop was Baked, where Alex got a S'mores bar (ganache, homemade marshmallows and a graham cracker crust) and I got a red velvet cupcake with cinnamon buttercream and an iced tea - Kingdom of Heaven (white) and mint mixed together.

First of all, look at the perfect cloud of icing topped with a Red Hot. Normally I am wary of icing like this because it's gooey, sticky and thick. But this was more like buttersilk than buttercream. Now I do love my red velvet with cream cheese icing but this was a nice change, and you could really taste the Valrhona cocoa in the cake. The cake part was just right, not too cakey and not too moist. If you've ever eaten a Crumbs cupcake you will know what I mean. Those are not edible.

Will be back to try the Sweet & Salty (Dark chocolate cake infused with a salty caramel, caramel chocolate ganache and topped with fleur de sel) as well as the Coca-Cola Bundt cake (chocolate cake infused with Coca-Cola and topped with chocolate icing). Actually, scratch that. I'll keep coming back til I've tried everything.

Follow them on Twitter!

No comments: