Sunday, July 19, 2009
Ici = here
I have been wanting to try to make my own baked eggs at home for a while now. We often enjoy them at Ici, where they are called "Shirred Eggs." There, they are baked with fatty bits of bacon, spinach, cream and cheese. Bubbly and crusty on top, loaded with goodness.
For mine, I used small tapas pans I bought at BB&B, which are about 6" across and oven safe. I completely winged this recipe but here are the basic directions. You can use whatever you want/have lying around.
1. Grease pans with unsalted butter, leave about a teaspoon-sized pat of butter in the pan.
2. Break 2 eggs into the pan.
3. Julienne some baby spinach, about 2 handfuls. Julienne about 2 sun dried tomatoes and 2 shiitake mushrooms. Sprinkle them evenly over the eggs.
4. Add a small handful of crumbled feta cheese.
5. Season with some coarse sea salt, fresh black pepper, crushed red pepper, oregano.
6. Add a bit of heavy cream - not too much, less than 1/4 cup.
I baked this in the toaster oven at 350 degrees until the eggs were cooked and the cream started bubbling. I have no idea how long this took, probably about 10-15 minutes. It's not a set formula, just check on it every now and then.
Gonna have to say this was better than Ici's. Thank you very much. Not as greasy and more flavorful for sure. The sun dried tomatoes added a tanginess that was missing and the feta crumbled nicely into little melty bits. It wasn't greasy at all. The heavy cream thickened into a nice sauce and the mushrooms added some meatiness. If you wanted to make this a big brunch/breakfast you could probably cook up some hash browns and sausages/bacon too.
One caveat - these are non-stick pans so you want to be careful eating out of them. No scraping with sharp objects!