Saturday, July 04, 2009

I wouldn't mind being a HERB


herb garden, originally uploaded by kzeromancer.

We've moved. Woowoo.

I mostly hate the new apartment right now. There is less counter and cabinet space in the kitchen. Tonight I made a measly salad for dinner and everything was too spread out - I have to find a better way to arrange things. There's no light in the kitchen - if I want to cook at night I am basically screwed. The drawers stick, they're tiny.......

BUT. There is a ton of natural light in the front of the apartment, perfect for growing herbs. Finally finally. I killed my thyme and basil plants in our first floor apartment because they only got about an hour of sunlight each day. I'm really excited that they will be able to thrive in our new place. Even if I won't!

Definitely basil and rosemary - they grow like crazy in the right conditions.

I've been buying my herbs at the store and to make them last, it's been a constant trial-and-error process. I've finally figured out how to stretch the shelf life of some fresh herbs:

Basil: Rinse all the dirt off and wick off any excess water in a salad spinner (thank you, Alex!). Let the leaves completely dry. In an airtight container, store them in single layers, alternating with sheets of paper towels. They will last in the fridge for up to a week at least.

Rosemary: Rosemary is a hardy herb. Just throw it in the fridge and it will be good for a couple of weeks.

Cilantro: Whack the bottoms off the stems and place them in a glass of water. DO NOT refrigerate them or they will wilt. Should be good for at least 5 days, give or take.

Parsley: Parsley's fine if you just leave it in the produce bag you put it in when you buy it. Just stick a paper towel in there to soak up any excess moisture. Should be good for at least 5 days.

Those are the main herbs I use on a regular basis. If anyone has any advice for dill or thyme, send it my way!

3 comments:

Christian said...

Thyme typically doesn't go bad as long as you keep it relatively dry. Over time, whether just sitting in the fridge or hanging somewhere in your apartment, it should air dry, which is obviously different from fresh thyme, but much, much better than anything you'd get in a spice jar.

lazysundae said...

Thanks Christian! Looking forward to growing some :)

little homie said...

this is helpful, my herbs always go bad and it hurts my feelings.