Monday, June 01, 2009

Inspirations

Watching Food TV this weekend I got inspired by a Barefoot Contessa rerun. In it, Ina Garten makes fettunta and a grilled Tuscan chicken, as well as a grilled panzanella salad. I used the episode to inspire our snack and dinner:

Afternoon snack
Fettunta. Traditionally, it's just grilled bread rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil. On the show, Ina used smoked mozzarella, prosciutto and parsley but on ours, I spread a delicious ricotta cheese from Connecticut (the name escapes me but will update once I get home and check the package - I got it at Choice Greene), prosciutto di Parma and baby arugula. The bread was also from Choice Greene, a long sourdough loaf that resembled ciabatta but was much airier and chewier. I think this will be my go-to bread for the summer, so delicious.

Tuscan Chicken
For dinner I made this grilled Tuscan chicken. It's ridiculously easy and leaves your hands free to prepare other things like side dishes. In our case, more of that cilantro-habanero-garlic corn and a salad of greens, tomatoes, feta, mushrooms and cucumber.

First, cut the backbone out of the chicken. Then cut a slit in the front and flatten it out, taking the breastbone out as well. Liberally salt both sides and place it in a heavy dish just big enough for the chicken. In a bowl, mix the marinade: lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic and a little red wine vinegar (I tweaked her recipe a bit). Pour it into the dish with the chicken, making sure to flip it around and make sure everything gets covered. Refrigerate for a few hours - I let it sit for about 5-6. When ready to grill, place the chicken skin side down first. Weigh it down with the marinade dish so it can cook evenly, about 12-15 minutes on each side.

When the chicken is done, let it rest before cutting. Meanwhile you can grill some lemons, which act as a sauce with great smoky-sweet flavor.

Delicious, especially as leftovers!

1 comment:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

wow girly...good inspiration...looks delicious! (chicken looks a little obscene but still really delicious).
i live ina..she looks like she enjoys a good cocktail and never stresses in the kitchen.