Monday, June 22, 2009

Dutch dutch baby

Mixed Berry Dutch Baby
I've been wanting to make this brunch for Alex. It's called a Dutch Baby but it's basically a German pancake. With berries, which are some of his favorite fruits. I got the recipe from Food & Wine and with the warm weather the time was perfect.

Bascially:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees (this is the only thing that's not summer-friendly)
Whisk 3 large eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
Add 2/3 cup flour and 2/3 cup whole milk. Whisk til smooth, then add a cup each of the berries.
In a 10" cast iron skillet, melt about a tablespoon of butter. Pour the batter in and smooth into an even layer. Bake the skillet in the center of your oven for about 20 minutes, until the sides are brown and there are some brown spots in the center. Cool on a trivet/rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Our bright brunch

I served it with a side salad of romaine, parsley and white mushrooms dressed with lemon, dill and extra virgin olive oil. Also some spicy sage sausage, which we buy in a big log and slice up as thick as we want. The best kind! Sorry for the blurry photo but Alex was in a big hurry to eat :-P

Definitely easy and delicious though I would add more lemon zest next time. It also holds up til the next day - right now I'm eating some with a cup of Darjeeling tea. I just put it in the toaster oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Alex: I had to wait 2 weeks for my surprise brunch because it got bumped. The wait was well worth it. I love fruit, i mean looooooooooove. This was right up my alley. I was surprised to see the thing puffed up so much in the oven. It looked absolutely delicious and I couldn't wait to dig in. At first bite I didn't know what to think. Almost like a pancake but not really. It isn't as dense as a pancake and there wasn't any need to soak it in syrup, although it did need a touch more powdered sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth. Baked berry goodness. After my second helping I confirmed this was a big hit. Can't wait to wake have this one again.

1 comment:

William said...

i've heard about this pancake called the dutch. The first time i came across it was in a church cookbook and it was called (i cant remember the name) but so and so's really big pancake. he made it in a pie tin and said that he would use it to impress dates that he had brought home.. that the next morning he would whip this up and they would watch it puff up in the oven!