Saturday, May 02, 2009

South of the border

A lot of inspiration comes to me on the toilet. Mostly because I have some Food & Wine and Cooking Light magazines in the bathroom! Today is a big day for sports - the Kentucky Derby, the boxing match & Game 7 of the Bulls-Celtics series. So I decided to create a South American feast for us:

Sangria
My sangria. Some cheap red wine, cranberry juice and brandy. Combine in a big pitcher with apples, lemons and oranges and serve over ice. Nothing easier.

South American Dinner
These recipes came from Food & Wine's May 2009 issue.
Chicken wings marinated in Peruvian marinade
The marinade consists of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, tumeric, cumin, lots of garlic and hot paprika. Which I didn't have so I did regular paprika and cayenne pepper. This is wonderful and zingy - I am keeping the marinade and getting chicken thighs for later this week.

Chilean tomato-onion salad
Really easy and refreshing. And so pretty! Soak thinly sliced sweet onions in red wine vinegar with salt and pepper. Mince jalapeno and chop cilantro - combine with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Arrange tomatoes on a plate, sprinkle with onions and drizzle dressing.

Empanadas - I switched up the filling, leaving out the fresh tomatoes and red peppers and adding instead potatoes and green olives. I also didn't have enough all-purpose flour and ended up using half all-purpose, half whole wheat. I have a ton of filling left over so I'm going to save it and eat it with garlic rice and a fried egg, Filipino style.

Que delicioso! You should see my kitchen - love is a battlefield.

1 comment:

William said...

OMG you are FILIPINO! Garlic fried rice and fried egg! its what i do to get rid of old rice.. i have it for breakfast especially on weekends!