Sunday, April 19, 2009

Homemade char siu bao

I found this recipe online. Not from a traditional source but it seemed easy enough. I've been trying to expand my cooking talents into more Asian territory. I've got some Japanese dishes down but since I am Chinese, these are a must. The recipe is from Cooking Light and can be found here.

Char siu bao
Rolling out the dough. This dough was fun to work with because it was springy and elastic.

Char siu bao filling
The filling. I did not have any 5-spice nor could we find it at any grocery store in the neighborhood so I used my own. Carraway seed, black pepper, cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves. The hoisin sauce really helps to make it sweet.

NOM NOM NOM
A short steam and YUM! Delicious. Grandma would be proud.

A salad to go with
We had these for dinner and I made an easy salad of cucumber, blanched sugar snap peas and radish. The dressing is just extra virgin olive oil, rice vinegar, a few drops of sesame oil and about 1/4 tsp. miso. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss - so refreshing.

I'd definitely make these again. I found another recipe for char siu here at My Kitchen that seems really easy. Also leeks and pork would be good to stuff inside. I'll keep thinking of variations on fillings - this is fun!

3 comments:

cassandra said...

you should try banh bao the vietnamese version.

we should cook together sometime! i know vietnamese very well. :c)

&%; = lainey said...

that's impressive. my parents like to remind me that one my 1st bday they made a shitload of these for my party. they attempt to guilt me by saying "we stayed up all night making siopao" to which i reply, "i was one and couldn't eat any of it. don't blame me for your poor menu choice."

spwal said...

nice work. i esp like the salad idea