Sunday, March 22, 2009

One pot peasant food


Last weekend I made cassoulet since it was the last time it would be cold enough. Traditionally this is made with duck confit but I used chicken instead.

Ingredients:
Bacon
White beans - cannelini/navy/white kidney
Sage sausage, cut into 2 inch pieces, skin removed
2 Chicken legs
Canned plum tomatoes
White wine

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut up the bacon into small pieces. Sautee in the dutch oven until the fat starts to render, then remove bacon.
2. Brown the chicken and sausage in the fat.
3. Meanwhile cut up the plum tomatoes and then add them to the pot, with a little bit of the juice. Add the bacon back in, as well as a bay leaf or two and about a quarter cup of dry white wine. Let simmer about 5-10 minutes.
4. Add about a cup or two of water. Simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Rinse and drain the beans (if you are using canned) then add to the top of the mixture. Top with breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and paprika.
6. Cover and bake in the oven until liquid has reduced.

When I made it, I skipped step 5 and just mixed the beans right in, letting them soak up all the bacon fat. Came out just as good. Great with a crusty baguette and simple salad on the side.

Alex: Ok I admit I suck. I jumped the gun and criticized Alexis for making it wrong. I thought it was going to be too soup-y but it came out absolutely AMAZING. Major propers to Alexis on this one... can you forgive me for being such an ass?

Alex: ******

No comments: