Wednesday, January 21, 2009

...And we're back!

The Irving Mill
16th at Irving Pl (Union Square)

Burger at Irving Mill


Alexis: I'm sorry we were gone for so long but with the holidays plus keeping up with writing two different blogs, I was just burnt out. The first post of the new year? The burger at Irving Mill. Boasting Ryan Skeen of Resto (and the General Greene!) the burger consists of a loosely formed patty of aged flap steak, beef cheek and fat back. Wha wha whaaat?? Served on a surprisingly hardy potato roll with mesclun greens, tomatoes, red onions, freshly pickled cukes and topped with white cheddar, the burger is tasty and juicy. Size-wise it's been called "petite" but for me it was the perfect size, especially when paired with fingerling potato fries and olive (?!) aioli on the side.

Alexis: The atmosphere is a bit stuffy and pretentious but none of that mattered when faced with this burger. At $15 it's a bit much for a burger but considering the competition, I think it's worth it.

Alex: I'll admit, I'm the type of person who freaks out over "weird" ingredients. Beef cheek? I know that its all in my head and I am glad I didn't let it stop me from trying this burger. The meat was juicy and flavorful. Definitely one of the best I've had in a long while. The bun was a downer though. I can't stress it enough that the bun is just as important as the meat. If you are serving a high dollar burger, you should throw in a specialty bun, not some grocery store 8 pack backyard bbq buns. Having said that, I will probably be back for more.

Alexis: ***1/2 The burger carries this place.
Alex: ***1/2

No comments: