Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Midtown excursion

Wafels & Dinges (Waffle Truck)
See website or add them on Twitter for locations

Wafels & Dinges


Alex and I first tried these Belgian waffles at the BK Flea a few months ago. I've just recently started following them on Twitter and noticed they'd added a new item to their menu. Along with sweet dessert-y waffles, they started making this pulled pork-cole slaw waffle.

During lunch one day they were parked nearby (on Tuesdays and Thursdays they are parked at 45th and 6th Ave) so I hit it up with Steph and Angel.

Topped with a "Kool-ickle" it was definitely different. However, don't order this expecting true BBQ goodness. The sauce was a little too sweet, as was the cole slaw, which had a little too much mayo. The pork itself was decent but the fact that it needed sauce told me that 1) they probably didn't slow smoke it (and who wants to do that nowadays) and 2) maybe the rub was lacking. I'm partial to the N. Carolina style BBQ that is dribbled with spicy vinegar sauce. Maybe that is what I was hoping for. I wouldn't order this particular waffle again, but they have solid sweet waffles.

At BK Flea a few weeks later Alex & I shared the Liege waffle topped with strawberries and cream. The Liege waffle is made with sugar pearls baked in, so that it's a little chewy and caramel-y when you bite into it. The other Belgian waffle.

No comments: