Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bar Milano
323 3rd Ave at 24th (Grammercy)

Bar Milano

Alexis: Finally got to try Bar Milano. The team behind 'ino, 'inoteca (two of my absolute favorites) and Lupa partnered once again to open their top tier wine bar. We went on a really drizzly Saturday afternoon at around 2pm and were seated at a quiet corner in the dining room as the bar was full. Lots of natural light which I loved, and very simple design. The highlight of the room is the entire wall covered in wine cases.

Bread basket at Bar Milano
Alexis: The bread basket. Warm focaccia with some delicious golden olive oil. The focaccia was just right, topped with a bit of cheese that was baked in. We had two baskets of this throughout our meal.

Parmesan & Prosciutto at Bar Milano

Alexis: I ordered a glass of prosecco and the Parmesan & Prosciutto plate, which came with 18-month old cheese and three generous slices of the fatty ham. A bit plain but I got what I ordered. Delicious with the focaccia.

Tagliatelle Carbonara at Bar Milano
Alexis: Alex's entree, Tagliatelle ala Carbonara. So simple and good, with some prosciutto lightly fried. Going to have to experiment with this one at home.

Dessert at Bar Milano
Alexis: Dessert - mascarpone gelato, blood orange sorbetto. Garnished with fried mint. When the waitress asked me which one I liked better I nearly had an aneurism - both delicious.

Alexis: Overall, a good experience. I'd go back to try other things on the menu, especially not during brunch hours. However this is definitely not my favorite of the restaurants. I'm loyal to 'ino for it's cozier feel and comforting menu.

Alexis: ***1/2 Points for the really knowledgeable waitress, decor and wine selection. A bit pricey for what it is but maybe that's location for you.

No comments: