Saturday, September 20, 2008

I need to go live with Paula Deen or something

My 2nd attempt at biscuits & gravy


Alexis: This morning was my 2nd attempt at biscuits & gravy. The first time I made them, I used this jar stuff that wasn't even the right jarred gravy. I was determined to get it right this time by making the gravy from scratch. Alex and I worked on this one. He baked the biscuits, cooked the sausage and the egg. For the gravy I used the sausage fat and some butter. I also added some lard spread we had in the fridge because I was scared there wasn't enough lard. Scared there wasn't enough lard!!! Then I started adding flour to make the roux. I think I added too much because as I was adding the milk, it took a long time to get it out of wheat paste consistency. Then I added the sausage back in and salted and peppered everything. Verdict: gravy was way too thick and a bit too salty. I'm not giving up yet! I want to make biscuits from scratch as well.

2 comments:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

this is hard stuff-maybe paula deen has an internship program or maybe it's time to call Lynn Rosetta Caspar at the SPledid Table..if you did that i'd laugh and laugh..

lazysundae said...

i cannot stop laughing!! i actually listen to that podcast sometimes and while informative it is PAINFUL.