Saturday, August 09, 2008

Ippudo
4th Ave bet. 9th & 10th

Ippudo

IPPUDO REVISITED: Yesterday we had a team lunch at Ippudo. I have been wanting to come back but ramen is not really the first food I think of in the summer. However yesterday was a beautiful day and not too hot. These are deep fried shishito peppers served with salt. Slightly spicy and not greasy at all - these little firecrackers were a great way to start.

Ippudo

Kakuni - braised pork belly served with egg. You can never go wrong with pork belly. Fatty, rich and slightly sweet.

Ippudo

Hirata pork buns. You can get these in chicken too but why would you do that? Someone at the table said it was like Momofuku's. I've never had them there but I'd try them if they were handed to me. Maybe. I could've eaten a plateful of these. The bread is slightly sweet and the saltiness of the sauce and sweetness of the Japanese mayo were great with the pork. Crisp lettuce topped it off for some crunch and freshness. So simple.

Ippudo

Sadly there was no shoyu ramen at lunch. I had the Akamaru Modern, which is traditional tonkotsu broth with miso and special Ippudo sauce and garlic oil. The broth was almost creamy and super flavorful - I wanted to pick it up and drink from the bowl.

I'll be back, Alex in tow. It's not fair he gets to miss out on all this goodness.

No comments: