Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Pizza pizza!

My days of hating pizza are pretty much over. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that I live in the pizza capital of the U.S. and don't have to order from mass delivery services (Domino's, Papa John's). This past weekend we ate a bunch of it:

Adrienne's Pizzabar
54 Stone Street (Financial Dist.)
Adrienne's Pizzabar

Alexis: We were at Battery Park for the Feelies/Sonic Youth show so I made reservations at Adrienne's. I'd heard that it existed but no real verdict on whether it was good or bad. The entire length of Stone Street is home to several other restaurants and bars, and there were long picnic bench-type tables set up like an outdoor beer garden in Europe. We tried to get a table outside but it was given away to complete parties. We were sat inside at a high table near the back exit, perfect for a dine-and-dash but we are supposedly past that...

Adrienne's Pizzabar

Alexis: There are two kinds of pies you can order. A 10" round pie in incarnations such as Vesuviana (anchovies, olives, capers, spicy red peppers) and Romana (arugula & prosciutto) which I really wanted to try but we went for the old fashioned pizza, which was a large square pie similar to a Sicilian, but thinner. On the veggie pie we had half roasted red peppers and half plain, and on the meat pie we had half prosciutto and half sausage. The verdict, not bad at all. Not exactly my favorite but I can't say I hated it either. I'd go back, on a slower night when the entire northeastern U.S. isn't gathered downtown for the 4th of July fireworks. And, when I can go and order what I really want!

Alex: I really liked this pizza. I wont go putting it in my top 5, but I think I managed to stuff at least 5 slices in my face. If you have ever been to a CiCi's Pizza, this pizza was just like the cheesy bread they serve there but with better toppings. I would definitely go back and try one of the more "exotic" pies Alexis mentioned.


Flatbread pizza

Alexis: The next night at home, we made more pizza. Alex bought some flatbread at the store for hummus, and we decided we could try to make a flatbread pizza with it. I used canned sundried tomatoes, red onion and garlic for the sauce - just pureed until smooth, then spread on the bread. Then I cut up some fresh mozzarella and shredded fontina cheese over everything, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper and crushed red peppers, and stuck it in the oven for about 15-20. When it came out, some fresh basil.

I wish I'd left it in a little longer to make the bread crisper and the cheese burnt-ier but overall, really easy and good. Sundried tomatoes have replaced normal tomato sauce as my pizza base of choice.

Alex: Not bad for a quick meal. Sundried tomatoes instead of regular pizza sauce is indeed the shiznit!

No comments: