Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Pilgrimage for Food

Butterfield Market
Lexington between 77th & 78th (UES)



Butterfield Market


Alexis: Thwarted on Memorial Day weekend, I wanted to try this place after reading about it on NYC Nosh. You walk in and there is a deli case with prepared foods, breads and pastries from all over the city (Amy's, Ceci Cela), a small produce section and in the middle, a big refreshment table.


Butterfield Market


Alexis: This is their cantaloupe-ade, with bits of pureed melon at the bottom. My mom used to make a similar drink when we lived in the Philippines, only she used a melon stringer and left the strands in the pitcher for us to chew on as we drank it. Fresh, sweet and super summery - wish we had gotten one each!

Alex: At first sip I was a little shocked. I never had cantaloupe-ade before but I love cantaloupe. It was a lot sweeter than I thought it would be, but after a few sips I was hooked. Definitely perfect for a hot summer day.

Butterfield Market


Alexis: This is my sandwich, assembled by Mr. Grumpy at the deli counter. Rosemary ciabbatta with prosciutto, red onions, oil & vinegar. He didn't hear me say "lettuce" and they were not serving tomatoes, due to the salmonella scare. Despite the fact that it was basically a bunch of meat on bread, it was delicious meat. Coupled with the dill pickle I got on the side the size of a baby's arm it was pretty damn good.



Grom
Broadway & 76th (UES)

Grom


Alexis: After stuffing ourselves on sandwiches we wandered west through the park to Grom, where people were piling in. Still on a melon kick, I ordered a small cup with yogurt gelato and melon sorbetto. At almost $5 a pop for the small, it is a bit steep but the consistency of the gelato is smooth, melty and delicious. Compared to Il Lab (which still tops my gelato list, flavor-wise), the gelato at Grom is thicker, creamier and sweeter. My melon tasted a bit off, however. I guess not the right partner for the tangy yogurt taste. A great sweet treat on a muggy day.

Alex: I have to say this was probably my least favorite gelato. I had the Crema di Grom and the Tiramisu. They both had little bits of biscuit or chocolate which I didn't like very much.

Grom

No comments: