Sunday, June 22, 2008

Full circle

Ivo & Lulu
558 Broome Street at Varick (Soho-ish)


Photo from Cheap Ass Food

Alexis: My own photos were too dark to see anything so I had to borrow this one from another food blog, Cheap Ass Food. And cheap it was. I haven't been here in about four years but it's just as good as the first time. We started with a roasted red pear cut in half, topped with blue cheese and served with a drizzle of balsamic and clover honey. A lot of complementary flavors going on and just the right size for two.

I ordered the duck confit, which was seasoned with jerk and served in a mango marinade reduction - sweet, salty and fatty. The real winner though was Alex's smoked chicken breast, served with a sauce of goat cheese and papaya puree.

The staff is great - very hospitable and happy. We were sat within 15 minutes on a busy Saturday night, and at the end of our meal they shared some leftover champagne with us. This is a great little BYOB that wins for simple food, great hospitality and very friendly prices. They've opened up another side to widen their dining area, which is a great thing for parties. I'll be back, and this time I won't wait 4 years to do so.

Alex: I didn't really know what to expect from this place, but byob is always a nice start (especially after warming up at The Dove). My chicken dish was just awesome. The chicken breast was sliced thinly and covered with the sauce. The smokiness of the chicken went well with the goat cheese and was complimented nicely with the sweetness of the papaya. The chicken was butter soft and every bite was a delight. My only suggestion would be for this place to step their side game up a bit. The only side dish they had was couscous which was a little bland.

No comments: