Saturday, May 31, 2008

Who loves you the best?



Alexis: I was reading Padma Lakshmi's cookbook Tart, Tangy, Hot & Sweet again today and got inspired. There are so many great, easy recipes in it and I have only attempted one - a salad! Today I made a chutney with apple and mint as well as a warm peanut salad.

Warm Peanut Salad (scaled down from a recipe for 6-8 people)
1/2 lb raw peanuts, shelled (I used unsalted roasted because I couldn't find them raw - didn't take as long to boil)
1 medium tomato
juice of a small lemon
handful of cilantro, chopped
1/2 serrano chili, minced finely
sea salt
bay leaf

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the bay leaf and peanuts. Keep it at a rolling boil for about 30 minutes. Since my peanuts were already roasted I only boiled them for 10 minutes. Meanwhile mince the tomato - scoop out all the seeds first. Mix with cilantro and add the chili and lemon juice. Drain the peanuts well and add to the mixture, then toss with lemon juice and salt.

A delicious, refreshing side dish/appetizer. I've never eaten anything like this before and I don't even like peanuts! This might make me a believer.


Apple mint chutney:
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into pieces
3 cups mint leaves
2 cups cilantro
1 medium tomato, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt

Combine all ingredients except the salt into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add salt and stir; keeps refrigerated for 4-5 days.

It's like a green salsa! I made some pan-seared lamb shoulders just seasoned with citrus salt and pepper and rubbed with garlic. The chutney was a great sauce for it. I'd also try it on pork. Or as a dip for chips! So delicious and fresh.

Question for other bloggers: I've noticed on other food blogs that when using someone else's recipe from a cookbook, they won't post the recipe. Am I doing the wrong thing by doing so? I always site the source but not sure if they're being paranoid or if I'm the one in the wrong.

2 comments:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

We're grilling lambchops tonight and That chutney will be perfect with it-thanks!
I've been wanting to get that Padma Cookbook-looks like some pretty sexy recipes! Do you like it?

lazysundae said...

Yes! I love it a lot - there are so many different influences in it. It's like a food scrapbook. The chutney is awesome - it's almost like a salsa too so you can eat it with chips!