Sunday, May 11, 2008

Porterhouse in da hoooouuse!


Alexis: We picked this beauty up at Whole Foods, weighing in at about 28 oz. A porterhouse has the best cuts of meat, the tender filet and flavorful sirloin.


Alexis: I roasted some garlic first, for spreading onto the meat. Roasted garlic is one of my favorite condiments/sides. You can spread it on bread, whip it into mashed potatoes, or just eat it plain. Roasting the garlic brings out its sweetness. Just wrap it up in foil with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake it for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. When you start to smell it, keep it in there for another 15 minutes and you should be good to go.


Alexis: To season the steak, I just rubbed both sides with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled some Montreal steak seasoning, which is basically dried garlic, crushed red pepper, black pepper and paprika. I also sprinkled some dried rosemary which is an herb that pairs well with any kind of meat, even fish. Pan-seared it then put it in the oven on high heat for about 8 minutes.


Alexis: To serve, I gave each of us half of each cut: filet and sirloin. No steak sauce needed, seriously. I also had a salad of arugula, shallots, apples, Parmesan cheese and almonds, and some potato salad with bacon that I'd made from leftover Yukon golds.

Alex: This Steak was awesome. To be totally honest, it was way better than any Steak I have EVER had at a restaurant. After I got a little lesson on the parts of a Porterhouse it was time to dig in. I went for the Filet first. Butter! It was so soft and juicy and seasoned to perfection. I didn't think it could be topped but Alexis told me the Sirloin is more flavorful. Yeah right, how could it be any better? BAM! It got even better. The Sirloin was slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) tougher, but oh soooo tasty. It is going to be really hard to convince me to go out and drop serious loot on a Steak after this one.

Alexis: Alex made some frozen margaritas with a citrus salt rim for starters and with dinner we had an interesting Cannonau, which I usually like but for some reason this one had a gasoline-y aftertaste. But not in a bad way. I had no idea I was craving beef so much until I had my first bite. We gotta do this more often.

1 comment:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

I think the Porterhouse was a Flintstone's favorite. We're totally going to make that recipe this weekend...thanks!