Thursday, May 01, 2008

Anchovy lovers only

I love anchovies. This proves that I am truly my father's daughter. Below are two of his favorite anchovy recipes:


I've been making this Caesar salad since i was 10. Filipinos LOVE Caesar salad for some reason; I found it in an old Filipino cookbook of my mom's. This recipe is good for 4 people - I didn't add specific measurements because I go by taste.

Crush two cloves of garlic, preferably with a mortar & pestle. This really gets the good juices going. Add anchovies - I usually say 2 per person but you can adjust this according to your taste. Smash with the garlic. Add one egg yolk and mix well. Add dijon mustard. You gotta keep mixing. To this, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some white or white wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper - yes, more salt! Start adding your olive oil but do this slowly and whisk as you pour it in. It needs to emulsify so add the olive oil in small batches. Toss with chopped romaine hearts and shave some good Parmesan cheese on it.


There is a restaurant called Di Marks in the Philippines that has the best anchovy spaghetti. There is just olive oil, garlic and anchovies. I tried to recreate it once but it ended up being a big oily mess. I found this recipe online (I'll find out where and add the link) and it worked better because the breadcrumbs soaked up some of the oil, and the onions gave it a better base. One thing to watch out for is oversalting the breadcrumbs, which is what I did. Still delish though.

While you're boiling water and cooking your pasta, sautee some breadcrumbs in a bit of olive oil until they are toasted and golden. Transfer them to a small dish, off the fire, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some chopped fresh dill on top. Next, sautee thinly sliced red onions in olive oil. Add anchovies and smash them into the onions until they form a chunky sauce. Add some crushed red pepper for a little spice. When the pasta cooks, add some of the pasta water to your mixture, then add the pasta. Toss with some breadcrumbs and plate, topping with more breadcrumbs.

Really good and best when made with long pasta. You definitely need some sort of greens on the side to cut all the oil though.

3 comments:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

I am with you on that sister--anchovies galore in this girl's fridge too.

There's a great Jamie Oliver recipe where you heat a baking pan in a 450 degree oven, rub olive oil on a slab of salmon, then toss a bunch of green beans (which have been blanched in salted water) with cherry tomatoes, pitted kalamata olives, olive oil, torn fresh basil leaves and a crack of pepper.

Put in the hot pan and then lay anchovies over the top of the beans and a few pieces on top of the salmon. Roast 'til it's seriously delicious.

lazysundae said...

i must absolutely, definitely, indubitably try that. for one because i love jamie oliver and two, it's got everything that's right in the world.

Drea said...

Dude, I'm so trying this anchovy pasta recipe! That one from Di Mark's was my favorite!!!