Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Presto pesto!!


Guess what I bought at the store for like $1?? A big ass bunch of basil. Above, fresh pesto with cavatelli that I made in my Magic Bullet. Just toss all the ingredients in, pulse until smooth, and season to taste. I used extra virgin, garlic-chili olive oil, some fresh garlic, walnuts and salt and pepper. There's no need to even cook it; just toss it over some warm pasta and shave Parmesan on top. I love how green the pesto looks - very spring-y!


Here's a roasted tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. I used these little baby tomatoes that were on the vine. Heat oven to 350. In a small dish or pan, place tomatoes and drizzle with extra virgin. Season w/ salt and pepper, bake for about 20 minutes (longer for larger tomatoes - the skin started to split and that's how I knew they were done). Slice fresh mozzarella into thin slices, julienne some basil. Serve as shown, using the olive oil from the tomatoes as a sauce. You can add balsamic vinegar - just a tiny bit - if you want. This is my new favorite way to eat this salad - the tomatoes are sweet-sour and a little smoky, and when placed warm on top of the mozzarella, the cheese melts a little and becomes slightly chewy. YUM. Easy, simple and filling.

I would love to try this with burrata. I saw some at Chelsea Market.


This is a grapefruit salad that I saw on Giada's show. I love her because she creates these great recipes that are easy and quick to make at home. My friend Andrew says all the housewives love her because they think if they can make her dishes they'll be hot like her. I think he's hating because he is without mammaries.

I've made a similar Spanish salad using oranges, prosciutto, gaetas, almonds and mint. This one uses similar ingredients. Cut the skin off the grapefruit and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange on a plate, top with thinly sliced red onion, halved black olives and julienned basil. Drizzle with some good olive oil and sweet balsamic vinegar. Season with salt & pepper. Delightful & refreshing.

P.S. Alex has finally updated the previous posts so be sure to read those!

No comments: