Sunday, April 06, 2008

Hash it out



Alexis: I found this recipe for chorizo hash via Tastespotting. It sounded yummy and easy to make so on my way home on Friday I stopped by Grand Central Market to get my ingredients. It was all good until I got to the German sausage counter. Of course there was no chorizo but there in the case next to each other were two spicy kinds of sausages, one like andouille and lo! A Rhine wurst like chorizo. I ordered two of these and also some salami. I paid for it and it seemed a little expensive...but I didn't check until I got down to Fulton Street (much too far to turn back to rip her a new one since the train wheezed and sputtered all the way down Lexington due to train traffic). I looked in the bag and inside were two (WRONG) sausages and no salami! And she charged me for three different things! Lesson learned - pay attention to what's going in your bag and check it before you leave!!

ANYWAY. Here's how you make it. Boil yukon gold potatoes for about 20 minutes, until just tender. The recipe said to peel them but I found that they fell apart - keep the skin on, it's good for you. When they are slightly tender, cool them and cut them into cubes. Meanwhile cut the sausage out of the casing - I ended up using a big tube of breakfast sausage and added paprika, garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Crumble it up and cook it in a cast iron skillet. Add some sliced scallion when it starts to cook. Preheat the oven to 350. When the sausage has cooked, set it aside and wipe the grease out of the skillet. Now cook the potatoes in the skillet in some oil or fat. I still have some duck fat left over from Christmas in the freezer so I used that and the chili-garlic olive oil I made a while back. When they start to crisp on the outside, add the sausage and scallion mixture back to the skillet and distribute evenly. Make "wells" in the mixture for your eggs. Crack the eggs into the wells and bake in the oven for about 5-7 minutes, until whites have set but yolks are still runny. Serve with buttered bread.

Turned out pretty delicious, even without the chorizo. The only thing was that I baked it for too long so the yolks got cooked through. I served it with a small arugula salad with tomatoes, avocado and lemon dressing.

Alex: This has become my favorite at home brunch dish. It has everything that screams breakfast goodness all jumbled up in one! What more can you ask for?

No comments: