Sunday, March 23, 2008

The verdict is in...

Grimaldi's
19 Old Fulton Street (DUMBO)



Alexis: The pizza trifecta is complete. Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, DiFara's. No these aren't the only pizzerias in NYC but these three are considered the institutions. Grimaldi's pizzas are cooked with thin crust in a coal brick oven, ensuring slightly charred crust. They don't accept reservations and with our group of 7, I was scared we wouldn't get seated until closing time. But no worries, we stood in line for about 30 minutes and were seated and fed within a very reasonable amount of time. We ordered 4 pizzas - plain, roasted red peppers, sausage & mushroom, pepperoni.

They use a sweet-tart tomato sauce here, and fresh mozzarella that melts into chewy goodness in the oven. The roasted red peppers were a big hit with me, lending some sweetness to the tart tomatoes.

The only problem with thin crust pizzas is that they often succumb to juices and oil, making for a slightly soggy crust. Grimaldi's is great, Lombardi's I like better, and DiFara's is KING.

Square slices are better.

Alex: One word... DiFara's! Now that I've done the Pizza trifecta, I am a 100% DiFara's convert. Yes it sucks balls that one measly slice can take and hour to get, and yes it sucks that it is in BFE, but all of that is worth it.

But this is a post about Grimaldi's, so let me get back on track... The pie was actually pretty good. I would say it is very similar to Lombardi's (but I give a slight nod to Lombardi's). The star of the show was definitely the Pepperoni. Salty, plump, and juicy. The Sausage and Mushroom was decent, but was the most soggy. The crust was slightly charred, crispy and, very light.

Obviously the difference between all of the pizza joints is the amount of pies they slang in a day. DiFara's is a "I'll do it at my own pace I don't give a $h*t" type of place and it shows in the quality. Grimaldi's and Lombardi's are more touristy, high volume places that have to crank them out quickly. So now that the trifecta is complete it is time to start checking out the lesser known hole in the wall pies!

3 comments:

erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
erin said...

khao soi is great, but oh gad i miss NY pizza so much!!! i'm drooling all over my keyboard.

AC said...

we're going here next

http://www.frannysbrooklyn.com/menu_des.pdf

drooooool.