Monday, March 10, 2008

2-for-1

Chat n Chew
E. 16th Street, Union Square


Alexis: After a day of shopping we decided we needed some comfort food. We headed to our old standby Chat n Chew, which is probably the only decent non-expensive place to eat at Union Square. I ordered the classic iceberg wedge with blue cheese and tomatoes and flank steak topped with fried onions. Can't go wrong with that. It seems to have changed from the last time we went there - the portions are much bigger and the quality of the food is a lot better also.

Alex got the TV dinner, which came in a cafeteria-like tray - chicken fried steak, mac n cheese, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. Can't say no to that.

Alex: I can always count on Chat-n-Chew to serve me a comforting meal after a day of total frustration shopping and never finding ANYTHING that fits me. So I stuffed myself with some old faves and went home a happy man. The Fried Onions were probably the star of the show, but the Chicken Fried Steak ain't no punk either.

Dessert Truck
University & 8th Street

Alexis: After dinner we braved the cold and headed to the Dessert Truck, which is parked at University & 8th. I have been wanting to try it for sometime now - I ordered warm chocolate bread pudding with bacon creme anglaise. It's not as disgusting as it sounds, the bacon is barely noticeable. I got it to go and they packed up the sauce separately. I could barely detect a slight fatty bacon odor and when I poured it onto the pudding the essence of pork was lost. So for those of you balking at a bacon dessert, don't fret. The chocolate bread pudding was rich and warm and went down fast. I'll be back!

Alex: I do kind of like the idea of a Dessert Truck, but whats the point if it only parks and you have to go to it? I want that mother 'effer to come to me!

This will be our last post for this week; we are headed to Austin, TX for sun, music and lots of BBQ!! Stay tuned for the mega-update.

No comments: