Sunday, February 10, 2008

Muevete buey

La Esquina
114 Kenmare (Nolita-Soho)

This was our first time to try this place. We'd made it all the way down to the 6 train when my stomach monster started to rear its head. So we headed back out to La Esquina. I knew it was expensive Mexican but didn't realize how expensive...$10 tacos! That's preposterous. The food was great but I'll be on the hunt for a taco truck next time.


Alexis: We started with the grilled corn - pretty straightforward and yummy, especially with a squeeze of lime.



Alexis: I had the fish tacos (insert infantile joke here), grilled market fish skewered and served atop shredded cabbage, and salsa verde with fresh guac. These were delicious and moist, though I had to switch from handheld to utensils because the juices overcame the tortilla.

Alex: I went for the Pork Tacos, and while they were good, they don't hold a candle to real deal Tacos that you can get from any truck in Queens (anywhere from Sunnyside to Jackson Heights). But for a bourgeois Taco these were pretty tasty. The Pork was marinated in a slightly sour and spicy sauce. On top of that was some shredded cheese, what I assume to be Pickled Cabbage, and a couple of Jalapeno slivers. The combo of the marinade and the cabbage made the Tacos on the slightly sour side but was nicely balanced with the spiciness of the Jalaps.

No comments: