Monday, February 04, 2008

It's not about who wins or loses...




...It's about what you eat during the game. Superbowl? Who cares. I made wings for Superbowl Sunday that turned out to be pretty damn good. I used Emeril's recipe, as follows:

2 lbs wings (that stuck us with about 10 whole wings) - cut the wing tips off, then cut the wings in half so you have 2 pieces instead of 1, the drummette and the other piece
Marinate in hot sauce (I used Texas Pete's Buffalo wing sauce) and season with salt and pepper. Leave in the fridge for 1-3 hours.
Meanwhile, assemble your "essence." I combined paprika, Italian seasoning, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. I added most of it to flour and mixed it well.
When the wings are ready to go, heat up some oil in a deep, heavy pot. I used an entire (small) bottle of Wesson. The oil should be about 350 degrees. Or, if you let a drop of water fall into the oil, it should sizzle. Coat the wings with flour and cook them, a single layer at a time. There should be enough oil to cover the wings entirely. The wings should cook about 4-6 minutes - they will turn a deep golden brown color. You can turn them with tongs if you need to. Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with more essence.
Serve with blue cheese dressing - I used the bottle kind and then mashed in leftover gorgonzola dolce from Saturday's party.

For the salad, I made "bacon" bits by sauteeing some prosciutto. Alex assembled the salads - cannelini beans, shredded carrot, chopped parsley and bacon bits.

Alex: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! I am seriously not kidding, these were the absolute, no doubt in my mind, most mind blowing, delicious Chicken Wings I have ever had in my ENTIRE life. Talk about tender juicy meat coated with the best crunchy but light crust ever!!! There was just a hint of the Buffalo Wing Sauce but enough to give you a good taste of the flavor. The Blue Cheese dipping sauce was perfect with the chunks of Gorgonzola and if the mood stuck me to have a little more intense buffalo wing taste I just poured a bit more of the sauce on 'em. I thought Alexis made too many wings but these bad boys were gone in no time.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

damn, I have to cook this myself?

The page loaded and I thought the pics were from a restaurant.

Danielle said...

i borrowed your recipe and made the wings tonight... it was SO easy and i've never had wings so deliciously crisp and spicy! ahh! thank you so much. :)

AC said...

ahh! i'm so glad you liked them. i would like to make these every weekend but i restrain myself - such a treat for both of us.