Wednesday, December 19, 2007

All hail...

Di Fara's
Avenue J, Midwood



Alexis: This is my pizza king, as I have sampled all three of the pizza institutions in New York (Grimaldi's, Lombardi's and Difara's). And I don't even like pizza! Dom Demarco still going strong with his square pies. The place is dingy and grimy but even in the middle of the day on a weekday, it gets packed. I've often waited over an hour for my pizza but it is well worth it. The crust is crisp at the bottom and light inside - not doughy and rarely soggy. The tomato sauce is slightly sweet and has a slight spice to it. Topped with fresh mozzarella and hand-cranked Parmesan cheeses, freshly scissored basil and a few swirls of good olive oil, it takes all of my self-control to wait for it to cool before biting into a slice of pizza that is both crunchy and chewy, salty and sweet, spicy and fresh. I'm gushing but I don't care. I love this pizza.

Alex: So I have reconsidered my feelings about DiFaras. When I first got to NY all I heard about was how great this Pizza is supposed to be. My first trip out there after much hype was a disappointment. But why? I guess I was being stubborn and wouldn't have liked it if it was served with a stack of a hundred dollar bills. Not to mention the trip out to Avenue J from Bushwick took 4 hours and it was 30 below freezing outside, AND the wait was another 6 hours just to get the damn Pie!

This time around I went in with an open palate. Even though it was still cold outside we didn’t have to travel as long from Clinton Hill, and the wait to get our Pizza wasn't as long either. I must say this Pizza is pretty awesome. The whole experience is what makes this place great. You can tell the old dude really puts his heart and soul into it. The crust is amazing... somehow light and airy but firm and crispy at the same time. Along with the minimal fresh toppings, this Pizza is refreshing to eat. I does catch up to you pretty quickly though, after 2 and a half slices I was ready to pop. But I also didn't feel all stopped up a few hours later.

It is very difficult to compare DiFaras to other Pizza joints... apples and oranges. But if I could only have one more slice of Pizza before I died, it might be DiFaras... maybe.

No comments: