Wednesday, March 28, 2007

En Francais, s'il vous plait

Things we ate in Paris:

Alexis: On Saturday night, Many our hostess had this huge spread for us. We started with some pate du canard (duck pate), pate au tete (I think), various cured meats, homecured sundried tomatoes, olives, a salad with mushrooms, hearts of palm, tomatoes (and tons of other good stuff) and homemade dressing. Coupled with some super fresh baguettes - I thought that was dinner and filled up on it. But there was also a pot of cassoulet on the stove with sausage, duck legs and buttery white beans. She ladled a generous helping onto my plate with tons of sauce, which I soaked up with more bread. I was almost too stuffed to get up and do some nocturnal sightseeing.

Alex: Many and Enfoe hooking us up, as usual. I love them! Gimme some more musicians!
Alexis: Our last day in Paris, we went to le Rue Mouffetard, in the 5me arrondissement. It was lined with tons of restaurants that had set price menus, as well as raclette and fondue joints. I ordered raclette avec charcuterie. Raclette is a medium cheese that is served traditionally with boiled potatoes and cornichons, as well as cured meats. It came with a table heater, into which you place a mini pan with cheese. It melts, you eat it with potatoes, etc. One of my favorite dishes since childhood. My father's favorite restaurant was La Locanda, an Italian joint. This is where I had my first taste of raclette at age 8.


Alex: Favorite saying of the day: "Quit being a Mouffetard"
This is the heater with the pan of raclette inside. There wasn't enough room on the table for the potatoes, which is why they are perched on top.

Alexis: This is Alex's lunch. He ordered the set menu which included appetizer, entree and dessert. I considered the duck confit but as it is cooked and preserved in its own fat I don't think it was too appealing to him :-P

Alex: Duck cooked and preserved in what?? Hmm... I might have tried that. My Steak was good, at least it was really a steak this time, and cooked!! As far as steaks go, this one was average, but since it was Fronch i felt like I was much better than everyone else.

Alexis: Creme brulee - it was a large portion. However the custard was a little too fluffy and not smooth and dense. Surprisingly, the best creme brulee I've had so far is at our own Dumont, right on Union Ave. in Williamsburg.

Alex: I thought it was good, but then again this was the first time I've had it. I liked the crispy sugar on top the best. Im thinking anything thats cooked with a blow-torch has to be good.

No comments: