Monday, February 19, 2007

I haven't left the house in 3 days

Dressler
149 Broadway (S. Wmsburg)
(718) 384-6343


Last night Chris treated Ryan and I to dinner at Dressler. It's owned by the same people who own Dumont and Dumont Burger, 2 of our favorite places in Williamsburg. This is the pinnacle of their empire so far, being the nicest and most expensive. It's nicely lit, with giant metal chandeliers and light boxes covered in carved panels. We started with the smoked sturgeon, which was served with frisee, herbed creme fraiche, a potato galette that tasted of smoky bacon and arugula and truffle vinaigrette. It was arranged so that you encountered different layers and tastes as you ate through it. Very fresh and good and not too filling.


For my entree I had more fish - pan seared cod with white asparagus and sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil. The cod was cooked perfectly - the crispy outside was not hard or chewy. I've never had white asparagus before and they are softer and more delicate tasting than the regular green variety.


For dessert we ordered the Riesling poached pear w/ honey flan and frozen lemon yogurt. The pear was alright...the best part was the flan - super creamy and densely sweet. Coupled with the slight tanginess of the yogurt, I could've eaten a huge bowl of the stuff. I had a dream about milk and cookies last night so dessert was definitely on the brain.

I would definitely go back to this spot - the portions were a good size and for what we ordered, we got good value for the money. I think brunch will be good next.

No comments: