Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The owner should be S'maced

Sarita's Macaroni & Cheese
345 East 12th Street, NY, NY 10003
212-358-7912


Alex: I was pretty excited to try this Macaroni and Cheese place, and boy was I let down. You would think this joint would be right up my alley, right? I went for the Cheeseburger Mac thinking it would be something like gourmet Hamburger Helper. The meat in it wasn’t at all very tasty. I like big chunks of meat in my Cheesy Mac, but this stuff was finely ground. The next big turn off was that it wasn’t very creamy. I guess it had cheese that doesn’t melt very well. They should throw some Velveeta on that bitch! It also had an interesting breadcrumb crust which was ok at best. The best part of the meal was the presentation. They served the food in these cute little iron skillets, and the space had a nice modern look to it (as nice as plastic chairs can get) with interesting chandeliers which gave off a nice soft glow. I do have to mention that the eating experience got much better after these loud mouth super geeks talking about quantum physics or some crap finally left.

Alexis: I too was disappointed. For a spot that specializes in mac n cheese, the dishes we ordered were not special at all. I got a small portion of the brie mac n cheese, which came with shiitake mushrooms, roasted figs and a touch of rosemary. It was creamy but bland. But what do you expect from a trendy new restaurant decorated in orange and yellow. And all the goddamn babies! Ugh. The concept is a bit confusing - mac n cheese in a skillet, salad in a take-out box. Give me Kraft Deluxe any day.

No comments: