Monday, January 29, 2007

My 1st German meal

I was wandering around the city, it was about 6:30pm and I was hungry as hell. I stopped by a lot of places, but it seemed like no one was eating in any of them, just drinking coffee and smoking (everyone smokes everywhere, its pretty nasty and my clothes always reek after I go anywhere). I was wondering if maybe I missed dinnertime or something. I finally found a place. I walked in and all I could think of to tell the waitress was "essen." I think she told me I could sit anywhere and she brought me a menu. It was all traditional German food with a shitload of Schnitzels, but I didn't think I was ready for that yet. I decided on the Schweinenbraten (roasted pork) with Potatoes and Red Cabbage. The meal was really good. The pork was tender and topped with a brown gravy, the potatoes were creamy, and the red cabbage was sweet and tart. I washed it down with a Doubblebock. For a breif momnent since I've been here things were good. The radio was playing Bob Marley's "Everything Is Gonna Be Alright" and I was watching Football highlights on the flat screen. Then reality set back in when Cher's "Do You Believe in Love" came on... ugh!

No comments: