Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Fish, my favorite dish


Alex: Mmm…my girl can cook. I’m not a huge fish guy, but every time Alexis makes me fish I love it! I’ll leave most of the explanation to her since she prepared it. I’m pretty much a newbie to the fish game. I don’t like really fishy fish and the Black Bass had a nice mild taste to it and was seasoned to perfection. I was pretty skeptical about eating fish with the skin still on it, but the meat slid right off onto the fork and into my tummy. I think my IQ went up 15 points after this meal. The potatoes and green beans were also delicious. We topped it off with a bowl of fresh strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. I never would have thought to put sour cream on fruit but it was awesome! What more can I say? I win.

Alexis: I found the fish recipe on foodnetwork.com and it was fairly easy to do. The recipe called for whole trout but alas, when I got to ho foods there was no trout to be seen. So I settled instead for whole black bass, which I had them filet - I'm trying to ease Alex into the seafood game, there's no need to freak him out with fish heads and the like.

So: season w/ sea salt and fresh pepper. Take two sprigs of rosemary and lay them on the flesh side, then wrap it all up with a couple slices of bacon. You can set this aside in the fridge in a baking dish while you make the potatoes. Cut potatoes into wedges. Toss in olive oil, sea salt and fresh pepper, then place on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees. In the meantime, zest a lime and then cut it into wedges. After about 15 mins, flip the potato wedges and bake for another 15. When they are done, sprinkle with zest and grated Parmesan and toss w/ some fresh lime juice. To cook the fish - place the uncovered baking dish under the broiler for 5 mins, then flip and cook for another 5-7 mins, placing some thin lemon slices around the fish. In the meantime, boil the green beans in salted water. Drain. Then in the same saucepan, melt some butter and squeeze in some lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss the green beans in it.

For dessert - slice up some strawberries, top w/ a spoonfull of sour cream and sprinkle w/ brown sugar. I liked this dinner a lot because it was easy to make but looked impressive. HA!

No comments: