Wednesday, January 10, 2007

but the truth is...

The Tasting Room
264 Elizabeth between Houston & Prince (Manhattan)
(212) 219-9478


I've been wanting to try this restaurant ever since I'd heard of it, when it was at it's old spot on 1st & 1st. Last night my boss, our team, the president of our company, the CFO and another one of his bosses ate here.

We started with some champagne to toast. Then we ordered the food. It comes in two sizes - tasting and whole. We ordered sea scallops, blue point oysters w/ champagne vinaigrette, foie gras w/ jicama, and mache salad w/ popcorn. The foie gras was pretty much my favorite thing I ate last night - super soft and fatty and a little pink in the middle. Mache is also called "lamb's lettuce" and is primarily from France. The popcorn on top of it was totally unexpected and really fucking good - lightly salted and just a tiny bit of olive oil in the popper.

For my main course I ordered taste portions of the duck confit with caramelized onions and the horse mackarel (pictured above) w/ some sort of beans and mushrooms (the names escape me, blame the wine). I cut into it and the skin was crisp and gave way to moist, unfishy mackarel. I tried really hard to finish everything but was too stuffed. The wine list contains all American wines and we ordered a 2002 Rutherford Cab, which was very good - very earthy w/ a taste of cedar.

Didn't order dessert but got to try some butterscotch (w/ real butter and real scotch) which was served in a little mason jar on a plate. Also some quince sorbet with crushed cookies.

Overall - I'd totally go back. A little on the expensive side (I'm guessing $60-70/person) but totally worth it. A good date spot. But not that night because we were so loud you could hear us from the bathroom...which was downstairs.

No comments: