Saturday, December 30, 2006

Someone forgot their passport, so we went to eat...

Acqua Santa
556 Driggs Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11211
718-384-9695



Alexis: I came here over the summer and we sat outside in the backyard - lots of wrought iron patio furniture and tables and trellises with vines. They also cook the pizzas back there in a brick oven. We started with a bottle of sangiovese. Usually a safe bet if you want to try something other than a chianti.

Alex: I tried to get artsy with this picture, but it just looks lame.


Alexis: Spinach salad with bacon-wrapped figs tossed in a light dressing, served atop a balsamic reduction. No real complaints - baby spinach would've been better though and not so much of it.

Alex: Found out today that figs are quite disgusting.

Alexis: It's not a cookie, mother, it's a fig newton.


Alexis: This is carpaccio, which is raw thinly sliced filet mignon. Topped with balsamic vinaigrette (I think) and some sauteed raddichio and mushrooms - button and shiitake. Carpaccio's one of my favorite dishes. This would've been better with just some shaved Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon. Raddichio is a little strange cooked and there was too much of it on top of the meat, which is basically like meat butter because it's so soft. This dish was a little off-balance.

Alex: I liked this dish. I'm usually not a big fan of mushrooms, but the raddichio improved the texture and cut the mushroom taste a bit. I didn't think I would like raw meat, but since it was sliced so thin I didn't feel like a caveman. Haha.. that reminds me of this survival show I was watching where this dude was straight up biting chunks of raw meat off of a antelope carcass, ew!

Alexis: Up next, sweetbreads. You graduatin, son.


Alexis: Alex ordered this pasta dish with cheesy cream sauce and bacon. Probably the best thing we ordered that night but I'll let him write about it.

Alex: This was the best dish of the meal. The pasta wasn't too hard, wasn't too mushy, and the cream sauce with bacon was very tasty, but not over bacony. Creamy and fresh, east coast to west!

This is a good place to take a girl last minute and come off looking like the player you wish you could be. Holla!

Alexis: (to myself) Play on, playa!

No comments: